Sunday, March 11, 2007

Being an Adult


This is what I always hated. It's not that I don't like to deal with my responsibilities, but that they spoil the fun. You wake up every day feeling (and being) responsible for a lot of stuff, most of them out of your own free will and choice. You realise that you like what you have chosen. Yet it seems that all the things you really like are putting an immense pressure on you. You understand what it means to have deadlines for something you really enjoy doing. You consider yourself lucky, because you 'follow your own path,' or you 'are fulfilling your destiny' and other phrases that sound exactly the same. However, it does not feel like you are doing something exciting. The process of institutionalising your inclination explains what 'being an adult' means. You don't do something because you like it, but because you have to (you might like it or not, it doesn't matter). In other words, being an adult means: 'never to be excited ever again!'

How exciting... I choose not to be an adult. I choose not to do a job because I have to, but because I want to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr Gonzo,
When you are at school you do your homework because you have to, when you are at the university you do your essays because you have to, when you graduate you find a job because you need to and probably get married because (once again) you have to and so on. The question is, if you do something that you initially enjoyed, because you have to and becomes part of your routine that kills any excitement, isn't it time to find another exciting thing to occupy yourself with until you kill its excitement? Fantasy and creativity are two basic elements of childhood that an adult should never lose!

P.S. If you understand a single word of what I just said, you are a genious! ;)

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning Dr,
I have an invitation for you in my blog

PH said...

I know. I have seen it and will respond asap! Thank you!